Style Sheets: Henri Matisse

Tuesday, July 23, 2013



Collaboration with Jessica Williams of Kate Spade and The House that Lars Built. Check it out here.
Henri Matisse is one of my favorite painters. Besides the fact that he is French (and you know I love everything French), I love his work. I've also seen loads of Matisse in Paris at the Louvre, MOMA, National Gallery of Art in DC, and in random spots around the world. His figures and colors are just beautiful and expressive and unpretentious. My first encounter with his paintings was when I was about 7 or 8 and my friend Caroline in Virginia had a big print of his red fish painting in her house. And just last year, when B and I were engaged and traveling back to DC and New York to see my parents, I saw the original in the MOMA.  And it was kind of one of those moments where I was like, where did I used to see that all the time.. And then a wave of smells and images and Caroline and her mom who was so artistic and wore quilted vests came back in an instant. And I remembered.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© My Little Belleville All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger